Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Foundation Repairs?
Are you a homeowner wondering if your insurance policy will cover foundation repairs? The answer is not always straightforward. Homeowners insurance covers repairs for sudden and accidental events, but it may not cover repairs that are needed due to normal wear and tear. In this blog, we will explore when insurance may cover repair costs related to foundation issues and when they may not be covered.
Foundation problems can be costly to repair, so you’ll want to know if your insurance policy covers these types of repairs. The answer depends on the type of damage and the cause of the damage. So, it’s important to understand what your policy covers in order to know if you’ll be able to get financial help with foundation repairs from your homeowners insurance.
When Are Foundation Repairs Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
Homeowners insurance usually covers foundation damage repairs if the factor that has caused the damage is a covered peril. They may include unexpected mishaps such as a plumbing leak, a broken water pipe, a fire, or storms.
When Are Foundation Repairs Not Covered by Homeowners Insurance?
In some cases, homeowners insurance may not cover foundation damage or repairs. These scenarios are as follows:
- Foundation issues caused by normal wear and tear or lack of maintenance are typically not covered by homeowners insurance.
- Damage caused by floods, earthquakes, or landslides may not be covered by standard homeowners insurance policies and may require separate coverage.
- If the foundation damage is caused by a covered peril, such as a fire, the damage to the foundation may be covered, but the cost of repairing the foundation itself may not be included in the policy.
- Some insurance policies may have a separate deductible for foundation damage, which would need to be paid before coverage kicks in.
- In some cases, the insurance company may conduct an investigation to determine the cause of the foundation damage and whether it is covered under the policy.
Some insurance policies may altogether exclude foundation repairs from coverage. This is usually the case with older policies, but it’s important to check your policy to make sure. If foundation repairs are excluded from your policy, you may be able to purchase additional coverage.
Cover Foundation Repairs of Your Home with Massive Insurance
If you have any questions about your homeowners insurance coverage, contact us today. At Massive Insurance & Financial Services, we can help you get the right coverage at the best price that aligns with your unique needs.