Fire Hazards in the Home
Most of us recognize the dangers of leaving cookware unattended on the stove. You may even know how many electrical devices to safely put into a socket. While you may be privy to the perils of neglected candles or conscientious about smoke alarm maintenance, it’s also critical to be aware of the lesser-known fire hazards in the home. Although your home insurance in Glendale, CA can help after a fire, you should take active steps to prevent a fire from breaking out.
Dust Build Up
Dust bunnies aren’t only a surface nuisance or a breach to your sinuses. The dust that gathers near sockets, floor heaters, and electronics could post a fire hazard. All it takes is a single spark to ignite a clump of dust, which point a fire could potentially spread to nearby furniture. Be sure that you regularly dust around the home, getting rid of it especially in those hard-to-reach places.
Loose Electrical Outlets
Loose-fitting plugs are more than just a slight annoyance. Over time, the blades inside your wall outlets can become loose and generate a significant amount of heat, increasing the risk of a fire igniting behind the wall. If you see any loose electrical outlets in your home, make sure they’re replaced immediately.
Stacks of Paper
Whether you have stacks of paperwork or it’s just neglected clutter, paper that’s too close to the electrical sockets or a heating source could easily serve as kindling for a blaze. You’d be surprised by how many fire claims are the result of old newspapers being kept in the garage alongside propane tanks of the old lawn mower’s gasoline container. If you are going to keep mounts of paper, be sure they are stored in a safe place. Better yet, digitize!
It’s important to note, too, that even your most prudent efforts aren’t completely immune to the unpredictability of fire hazards—after all, things can and do happen. Fortunately, home insurance is there to help. Contact the team at Massive Insurance to get started on your tailored policy today.