BLOG

8 September 2014 0 Comments Category: Article Archives

Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning With These Safety Tips

Too much carbon monoxide can put you at high risk of a coma, permanent brain damage, and death. The scariest thing about carbon monoxide is the difficulty of knowing it is even there.

Carbon monoxide has no color or odor and cannot be seen in the air and is caused by fuels you use every day for heating and cooking like gas and propane burning incompletely. But just because you cannot see or smell it does not mean there is nothing you can do to stop it! Here are some tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Install Carbon Monoxide or CO alarms throughout your home and stay protected by interconnecting these alarms so that they all will go off if one does.
  • CO alarms have the lifespan of about 6 years so make sure the ones installed in your home are working correctly.
  • Test your CO alarm monthly to make sure they do not need replacing.
  • If the CO alarm does sound, leave the house immediately for fresh air and remain there until emergency services arrive.
  • Do not leave your car running in a closed garage, even if the garage door is open. If you need to leave your vehicle running, park it outside,
  • Only use grills that are gas or charcoal based outdoors.
  • If you plan on using a generator make sure it is outdoors or in an area that is ventilated.
  • Be prepared by knowing the symptoms that come along with carbon monoxide poisoning. These symptoms include dizziness, headache, weakness, nausea, and vomiting.

Massive Insurance in California will work hard to find the best solution for your companies protection needs. We offer business and commercial coverage for your companies unique needs and will be happy to answer any of your insurance questions. Contact us to get started today.