Driving Tips to Keep You Safe on the Road This Holiday Season
The Thanksgiving weekend signals the start of the 2018 holiday season. If you’re like most Americans, you will be planning to drive over the long weekend. Perhaps you’re visiting Grandma, driving to the airport to catch a flight somewhere warm, or you’re picking up relatives to go back and stay at yours. Whatever your situation, you will know that Thanksgiving is one of the busiest holidays on the road. To arrive at your destination with ease, be sure you have optimum auto insurance in Glendale, CA, and read these Thanksgiving driving tips.
- Plan your route – and then plan an alternate. Even with GPS systems, it’s easy to get lost and confused when there are many cars on the road. Make sure you have a backup route in mind in case there’s heavy traffic or road closures.
- Prepare the car. Make sure your vehicle is ready for the journey, whether you’re driving 20 miles or 200. Check the tires, brakes, lights, engine, fluids, and windshield wipers.
- Leave early. If possible, take an extra day off work and beat the traffic. The roads will be congested on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the Sunday after it. If you can avoid driving on these days, do so!
- Schedule regular breaks. Make regular stops every couple of hours to stretch your legs and get some fresh air. If you have another driver in the car, consider switching off and taking turns.
- Don’t slack on safety. Young children need to be properly buckled in, and everyone should be wearing a car seat before starting the engine.
- Avoid distractions. Put your phone away, leave the radio alone, and set your GPS before you set off. You should avoid distractions as much as possible, especially when there are many other drivers on the road.
- Be patient. Young drivers, old drivers, trucks, and out-of-towners – you’ll see them all over the holiday weekend. Be extra patient and avoid making sudden lane changes that could cause an accident.
- Review your auto insurance. Make sure you have optimum insurance coverage that will protect you throughout your Thanksgiving travels.
To keep your journey safe throughout fall and beyond, ensure you have reliable car insurance coverage. For all your auto insurance needs, contact the professionals at Massive Insurance today! We serve residents in Texas, California, and Florida.